In this article, we will consider security issues related to Chromebooks.
Does Chromebook need antivirus?
A chromebook is a type of netbook that runs on Chrome OS. This innovation, developed by Google, offers a non-standard approach to mobile devices. The main feature is that the programs are not installed on the hard drive. They are located in the “cloud” on Google’s data servers and are accessed through the Chrome browser.
One of the most commonly cited benefits of Chromebooks is security. One of the elements of personal computer protection implemented in the web browser is a built-in scanner called “Cleanup”. This software periodically runs in the background (this option is installed in the application by default), but you can manually start the Chrome virus scan yourself right now by performing a certain set of actions.
How does it work?
Many users prefer this technique due to its speed, simplicity, and safety of operation. Chromebooks are reliably protected from any malicious files since Google guarantees users several levels of protection at once. These are isolation, checking boot files, and the like. Thanks to this, you do not need to install any additional antivirus. Google updates the operating system automatically and completely free of charge, so the software is always up to date.
While other operating systems were developed at a time when the Internet was not yet a big deal, Chrome OS is built with broad connectivity in mind, thereby addressing security holes at a basic level.
The most important security considerations for Chrome OS are:
- Automatic updates: Installed web applications, extensions, themes, browsers, and operating systems will update automatically.
- Process isolation: The system isolates processes that could compromise the security of the system, such as players, extensions, or installed applications.
- Boot Check: Tracks if the system has been compromised by external objects before the system starts up, and falls back to a backup version of this happened.
- Data encryption: All data uploaded to the drive is encrypted in real time from start to finish.
- Visiting Mode: In this mode, the user can transfer the computer to friends so that they can use the visitor’s account without storing their details.
The best antivirus alternatives for Chromebook
Because your Chromebook runs Android apps, it is vulnerable to the same threats as your mobile phone. If you want peace of mind that adds an extra layer of security, there are several options you can consider. Let`s analyze the most popular options:
- Avast Free Antivirus is intelligent protection against all types of malware specifically designed for widespread use on home computers.
- Avira Free Antivirus is free (for private users) software. The strengths of this antivirus include a well-established mechanism for detecting polymorphic viruses.
- Kaspersky Free Antivirus is software for web protection of a personal computer in real-time based on cloud technologies. This program does not track users for advertising purposes.
- Bitdefender is a simple and easy-to-use free antivirus that uses a combination of cloud scanning and behavioral analysis to identify new and unknown threats.
- Panda Free Antivirus – the first free, “cloud” antivirus, whose work is based on the principle of protection “from the cloud” in real-time.